|"Friday Night Bites"|
|Air date||September 24th, 2009|
|Writers||Barbie Kligman; Bryan M. Holdman|
|Producers||Kevin Williamson; Julie Plec; Bob Levy; Leslie Morgenstein; Barbie Kligman; Andrew Kreisberg; Sean Reycraft; Gabrielle Stanton|
|Starring||Nina Dobrev; Paul Wesley; Ian Somerhalder; Steven R. McQueen; Sara Canning; Katerina Graham; Candice Accola; Zach Roerig; Michael Trevino|
"The Night of the Comet"
"Friday Night Bites" is the third episode of season one of the American supernatural/teen drama series The Vampire Diaries. It was directed by John Dahl and written by series producers Barbie Kligman and Bryan M. Holdman. It first aired on the CW Network on Thursday, September 24th, 2009. In this episode, vampire Stefan Salvatore tries to blend in with his newfound peers by joining the Mystic Falls High School football team, much to the chagrin of coach and history teacher, William Tanner. Student Bonnie Bennett has grave misgivings over Elena's budding interest in Stefan, so Elena decides to invite them both over to dinner to break the ice. The already tense situation is elevated by the unexpected arrival of Stefan's brother, Damon, with his new paramour, Caroline Forbes in tow.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Principal Cast[edit | edit source]
Guest Stars[edit | edit source]
|Benjamin Ayres||William Tanner|
|Chris Thomas Hayes||Student|
|Keith Allen Hayes||Football fan|
|Carmen Matheny||Football fan|
|Cody Rowlett||Animal control|
Notes & Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This episode is included on disc one of the Vampire Diaries: The Complete First Season DVD and Blu-ray collections.
- Production code number: 2J5002
- The title of this episode is a pun on the 2004 sports movie Friday Night Lights, which later became a television series on NBC in 2006. The title also alludes to the fanged "bite" of a vampire.
- Final appearance of William Tanner; dies in this episode.
- Actor Zach Roerig also made recurring appearances on the Friday Night Lights television series playing a character named Cash.
What else have they done?[edit | edit source]
- First episode of the series directed by John Dahl. He also directs the second episode of season two, "Brave New World". Dahl also directed the "Chance" episode of the anthology series Fear Itself in 2009. Between 2008 and 2010, Dahl directed four episodes of the HBO series True Blood, including "Mine", "Never Let Me Go", "Timebomb" and "Hitting the Ground".
- Chris Thomas Hayes, who plays a student in this episode, also plays a lacrosse player in the "Second Chance at First Line" episode of the 2011 Teen Wolf relaunch series.
- Keith Allen Hayes, who plays a football fan in this episode, also plays an airline passenger in 2011's Quarantine 2: Terminal.
- Carmen Matheny has an uncredited role as a library aide in the 2009 telemovie My Super Psycho Sweet 16.
- Ethan Patterson is a stuntman who worked as Andrew Lincoln's stand-in and stunt double on all six episodes of season 1 of The Walking Dead.
- Cody Rowlett has had bit roles in several horror-themed projects. In 2009, he played a townsperson in Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween II. He played a panicked pedestrian in the horror/comedy Zombieland and was a HAZMAT soldier in the 2010 remake of The Crazies. In television he also played a zombie "walker" in the pilot episode of The Walking Dead entitled "Days Gone Bye".
See also[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Credited, but does not appear in this episode.
|CW Network television series The Vampire Diaries.|