|Directed by:||David Cronenberg|
|Written by:||David Cronenberg|
|Produced by:||André Link; Ivan Reitman; Don Carmody; John Dunning|
|Edited by:||Jean LaFleur|
|Distributed by:||Canadian Film Development Corporation|
|Released:||April 8th, 1977|
|Running time:||91 min.|
Rabid is an independent Canadian feature film of the science fiction genre with an emphasis on the "science runs amok" and Pseudo-Zombies film tropes. It was written and directed by David Cronenberg. It was produced by the Canadian Film Development Corporation and premiered in Canada and the United States on April 8th, 1977.
Cast[edit | edit source]
|Frank Moore||Hart Read|
|Joe Silver||Murray Cypher|
|Howard Ryshpan||Doctor Dan Keloid|
|Patricia Gage||Doctor Roxanne Keloid|
|Susan Roman||Mindy Kent|
|J. Roger Periard||Lloyd Walsh|
|Lynne Deragon||Nurse Louise|
|Terry Schonblum||Judy Glasberg|
|Victor Désy||Claude LaPointe|
|Julie Anna||Nurse Rita|
|Gary McKeehan||Smooth Eddy|
|Terence G. Ross||Farmer|
|Miguel Fernandes||Man in cinema|
|Robert O'Ree||Police sergeant|
|Greg Van Riel||Young man in plaza|
|Jerome Tiberghien||Doctor Karl|
|Allan Moyle||Young man in lobby|
|Richard Farrell||Camper man|
|Carl Wasserman||Camper child|
|John Boylan||Young cop in plaza|
|Malcolm Nelthorpe||Older cop in plaza|
|Vlasta Vrana||Cop at clinic|
|Kirk McColl||Desk sergeant|
|Jack Messinger||Policeman on highway|
|John Gilbert||Doctor Royce Gentry|
|Madeleine Pageau||Beatrice Owen|
|Bob Silverman||Man in hospital|
|Ronald Mlodzik||Male patient|
|Marcel Fournier||Cab driver|
|Valda Dalton||Lady in car|
|Denis Lacroix||Drunken Indian|
|Basil Fitzgibbon||Crazy in plaza|
Notes & Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The tagline to this film is "You can't trust your mother...your best friend...your neighbor next door...". Another tagline is "Pray it doesn't happen to you".
- There are a total of fifty credited cast members in this film.
- Principal filming on Rabid began on November 1st, 1976. Shooting concluded on December 5th, 1976. The movie was filmed on-location in Montreal, Québec, Canada.
- Rabid was first released on home video on VHS and Betamax by Warner Home Video in 1983. It was first released on DVD in Region 1 format by New Concorde Home Entertainment in 2000. It was released in dual format Blu-ray/DVD in the United Kingdom by Arrow Video on February 16th, 2015. It was released as a Blu-ray single by Scream Factory on November 22nd, 2016.
- According to this film's page at IMDB, actor Sonny Forbes plays a police captain. He is uncredited for his participation in this film.
- This is David Cronenberg's second commercial feature role as a director.
- Rabid was remade in 2019 by twin sisters Jen Soska and Sylvia Soska. It stars Laura Vandervoort in the role of Rose.
- The film review aggregate website Rotten Tomatoes gives Rabid a 73% Fresh Tomatometer rating based on twenty-six posted reviews. It has an audience score of 46% based on 7,230 user ratings.
- This movie has a rating of 3.2 on Letterboxd.
- Before taking on the role of Rose, actress Marilyn Chambers was known for her work in the pornographic film industry with films such as The Owl and the Pussycat and Behind the Green Door. She continued to work in adult films even after starring in Rabid.
Recommendations[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Ambulance | Amnesia | Attempted rape | Automobile accident | Canada | Cannibal | Cannibalism | Christmas | Dogs | Drowning | Female topless nudity | Flaying | Gore | Gunshot victims | Hospital | Jail | Machine gun | Montreal | Motorcycle | Mutant | Profanity | Pseudo-Zombies | Quebec | Rifle | Severed ear | Severed fingers | Shopping mall | Stabbings | Taxicab | Tentacles | Throat injury | Truck | Van | Voyeurism