|Directed by:||Tobe Hooper|
|Written by:||Steven Spielberg|
|Produced by:||Steven Spielberg|
|Music by:||Jerry Goldsmith|
|Cinematography:||Matthew F. Leonetti|
|Edited by:||Michael Kahn|
|Released:||June 4th, 1982|
|Running time:||114 min. (1 hr. 54 min.)|
|Gross:||$76,606,280 (US) |
|Next:||Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986)|
- "They're heeeeere."
- ―Carol Anne Freeling
Poltergeist is an American horror movie of the supernatural thriller and haunted house subgenres. It was directed by Tobe Hooper and written and produced by Steven Spielberg. Distributed by MGM, it was released theatrically in the United States on June 4th, 1982. The premise of the film centers around the Freeling family - a group of yuppies who find themselves in a dire situation when their youngest daughter, Carol Anne, gets sucked into the television set.
|Craig T. Nelson||Steve Freeling|
|JoBeth Williams||Diane Freeling|
|Beatrice Straight||Doctor Lesh|
|Dominique Dunne||Dana Freeling|
|Oliver Robins||Robbie Freeling|
|Heather O'Rourke||Carol Anne Freeling|
|Michael McManus||Ben Tuthill|
|Virginia Kiser||Mrs. Tuthill|
|Zelda Rubinstein||Tangina Barrons|
|Clair Leucart||Bulldozer driver|
|James Karen||Mister Teague|
|Dirk Blocker||Jeff Shaw|
|Joseph R. Walsh||Joey|
|Helen Baron||Woman buyer|
|Robert Broyles||Pool worker #1|
|Sonny Landham||Pool worker #2|
|William Vail||Implosion man|
|Jeffrey Bannister||Implosion man|
|Phil Stone||Football announcer|
|Craig Simmons||Implosion man|
- Principal shooting on Poltergeist began on May 11th, 1981 and concluded on August 4th. Most of the film was shot in Simi Valley and Agoura Hills, California.
Notes & Trivia Edit
- The tagline for this film is, "Some things have to be believed to be seen.".
- The MPAA originally gave Poltergeist an R rating, but the filmmakers protested successfully and received a PG rating for the movie. 
- William Vail, who plays the part of an "Implosion man" is also known for playing the role of Kirk in the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre, which was also directed by Tobe Hooper.
- Examples of symmetrical chair stacking, as demonstrated in this film, can also be found in the "The Ties That Blind" episode of the North American version of the TV series Being Human.
- In the "Phantom Traveler" episode of the TV series Supernatural, the characters of Sam and Dean Winchester are walking through an airline talking about the existence of a possible poltergeist. An airline worker passing by partially hears them and says, "Poltergeist? I love that movie!"
- Actress Beatrice Straight is also known for playing concerned mother Marion Creighton in the 1985 Wes Craven television movie, Chiller.
- This is the first work in the horror genre for visual effects editor Conrad Buff. He is also known for working on the 1995 movie Species as an editor.
External Links Edit
This article relates to the films within the Poltergeist movie franchise.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the Poltergeist films category.