The Phantom Stranger is a fictional super-powered being featured in comic books published by DC Comics. He is considered part of both DC's supernatural contingent of characters, but because of his vast, and often undefined power set, also fits in with DC's cosmic themed books. The Stranger does not fit into any one particular archetype. He is an immortal being of cosmic level power, but may also be an Angel of Heaven, or in some cases, a simple ghost. He is classically depicted wearing a black suit with a white turtle-neck, a gold medallion hanging over his chest, a wide-brimmed hat and a high-collared cape. The brim of his hat casts a large shadow over his eyes, often giving the illusion that the Phantom Stranger wears a mask.
- The Phantom Stranger redirects to this page.
- The Phantom Stranger was created by writer John Broome and artist Carmine Infantino and was introduced in the first issue of his own comic book series in August-September, 1952.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Serves as the balance between good and evil.
- Is a member of the unofficially recognized team of mystics known as the Trenchcoat Brigade.
- Is a member of an order of cosmic beings designed to monitor Earth's supernatural activity known as the Quintessence.
- Has also been an associate, though never an active member of the ShadowPact.
- Is Pre-Crisis continuity, the Phantom Stranger was an honorary member of the Justice League of America.