|"What Death Can Join Together"|
|Air date||June 15th, 2014|
|Producers||Nicholas Brown; Sheila Hockin; James Flynn; Morgan O'Sullivan; Chris King; Karen Richards; Pippa Harris; Sam Mendes; John Logan|
|Starring||Reeve Carney; Timothy Dalton; Eva Green; Rory Kinnear; Billie Piper; Danny Sapani; Harry Treadaway; Josh Hartnett|
"Closer Than Sisters"
"What Death Can Join Together" is the sixth episode of season one of the supernatural drama series Penny Dreadful. It was directed by Coky Giedroyc with a script written by series creator John Logan. It first aired on Showtime on Sunday, June 15th, 2014 at 10:00 pm. In this episode, Victor Frankenstein continues to work with Professor Van Helsing and learns more about the nature of Vampires. At the theatre, Caliban continues to swoon over the kind-hearted Maude Gunnerson. Vanessa Ives has a steamy night of sex with Dorian Gray, but this unlocks her own inner turmoil, as the demon possessing her takes hold.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Cast[edit | edit source]
Principal Cast[edit | edit source]
|Reeve Carney||Dorian Gray|
|Timothy Dalton||Sir Malcolm Murray|
|Eva Green||Vanessa Ives|
|Rory Kinnear||The Creature|
|Billie Piper||Brona Croft|
|Harry Treadaway||Victor Frankenstein|
|Josh Hartnett||Ethan Chandler|
Guest Starring[edit | edit source]
|David Warner||Professor Van Helsing|
|Olivia Llewellyn||Mina Murray Harker|
|Hannah Tointon||Maud Gunnerson|
Additional cast[edit | edit source]
In order of appearance.
Notes & Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This series was produced in association with Sky.
- This episode is rated TV-MA.
- This episode is included on disc two of the Penny Dreadful: The Complete First Season DVD and Blu-ray collections.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- This is the 2nd and final appearance of Professor Van Helsing; dies in this episode. He appeared last in "Demimonde".
- This is the 3rd and final appearance of Fenton; deceased and autopsied in this episode. He appeared last in "Demimonde".
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Dorian Gray: I prefer paintings. Photographs are so ironically... impermanent. They capture one moment in time to perfection. A painting can capture eternity.
- Vanessa Ives: I think, Mr. Gray, there are... tremors around us. Like the vibrations of a note of music. Hidden music. Some might be more attuned to them than others. What do those people do, those who have been chosen?
- Dorian Gray: They endure uniqueness.
- Vanessa Ives: To be alien. To be disenfranchised from those around you, is that not a dreadful curse?
- Dorian Gray: To be different, to be powerful... is that not a divine gift?
- Vanessa Ives: To be alone.
- Dorian Gray: To be seeking.
- Vanessa Ives: What?
- Dorian Gray: Another.
- Vanessa Ives: Like you.
- Dorian Gray: Who shares your rarity.
- Vanessa Ives: Then you are no longer unique.
- Dorian Gray: Nor are you alone.
- Sembene: I have been thinking about your daughter.
- Malcolm Murray: And?
- Sembene: So you find her. But say she cannot be saved.
- Malcolm Murray: If I find her, she will be saved.
- Sembene: No. For the blood we share, for the miles we have walked, Malcolm, we are not the same. Where I come from, we know some people cannot be saved. So your daughter is one of them. What then? Know what you are going to do.
- Vanessa Ives: And you think it was the creature we seek?
- Malcolm Murray: I would assume so. I mean, how many of them can there be? They do rather stand out.
- Dorian Gray: What sort of music would you like?
- Vanessa Ives: Meaning who do I want to be at this moment. Dorian Gray, who do you want to be?
- Dorian Gray: Myself. Without limits.
- Vanessa Ives: Then put on music for dancing.
- Dorian Gray: You have exceptional composure.
- Vanessa Ives: Do I?
- Dorian Gray: Poise, I mean.
- Vanessa Ives: Control.
- Dorian Gray: Yes. What if you were to abandon this?
- Vanessa Ives: I couldn't.
- Dorian Gray: Why?
- Vanessa Ives: There are things within our soul that can never be unleashed.
- Dorian Gray: What would happen if they were?
- Vanessa Ives: They would consume us, we would cease to be and another would exist in our place, without control. Without limits.
See also[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
Crew[edit | edit source]
This article pertains to an episode from season one of the Penny Dreadful television series.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the Penny Dreadful/Season 1 episodes category.