|1st printing:||June 8th, 1987|
|Page count:||420 pages|
Misery is an American full-length novel of the horror and psychological thriller genres. It was written by author Stephen King and first published in hardcover format by Viking Press on June 8th, 1987.
- Annie Wilkes
- Paul Sheldon
- Andrew Pomeroy
- Bossie the Pig
- Bryce Bell
- Charlie Merrill
- Duane Kushner
- Dumpster the Cat
- Hester Beaulifant
- Misery the Pig
- Nancy Dartmonger
- Mrs. Bollinger
- Paulette Simeaux
Races & Animals Edit
Notes & Trivia Edit
- Misery was adapted into a feature film in 1990 directed by Rob Reiner. It starred Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes with James Caan as Paul Sheldon.
- Misery was adapted into a Broadway theatrical production in 2015. It was directed by Will Fears and written by William Goldman, who wrote the screenplay for the film. It starred Laurie Metcalf as Annie Wilkes with Bruce Willis as Paul Sheldon.
- Misery was adapted as an audio-book in January, 2016. It was published by Simon & Schuster Audio and read by Lindsay Crouse. The running time is 12 hours and 21 minutes.
- The back-story of the book's antagonist, Annie Wilkes, was re-imagined for season two of the Hulu television series Castle Rock. Actress Lizzy Caplan played the role of Annie Wilkes in the series.
- Misery won the Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel in 1987. It is the first book to receive this award by the Horror Writers Association (HWA).
- Misery was nominated for the category of Best Novel at the World Fantasy Awards in 1988.
- Annie Wilkes makes reference to Jack Torrance and the Overlook Hotel, which is the main antagonist and setting from Stephen King's novel The Shining. This establishes that the two books take place in the same shared continuity.
See also Edit
External Links Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.