|Location:||Las Vegas, Nevada|
San Francisco, California
|Known relatives:||Jennifer Davison |
|1st appearance:||Vamps #1|
Jezz "Howler" Davison is a fictional vampire and a central character in the Vamps family of comic book titles published by DC Comics under their Vertigo imprint. She first appeared in Vamps #1 in August, 1994.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Jezz Davison, aka, Howler, was the ringleader of a band of motorcycle-riding female vampires. Before becoming a vampire, Howler was an underage woman who had turned to prostitution to make a living. She began living at a boarding house/bordello and also became a topless dancer. For a brief period, she worked as a dancer at a club in Las Vegas. Her manager promised to get her a gig as a Las Vegas showgirl. When she was twenty-four years old, Howler was impregnated by one of her clients. Only a short time later, she was arrested for prostitution. Shortly after her arraignment, she gave birth to her son. As Howler was incarcerated at the time of the child's birth, the baby became a ward of the state.
After getting out of prison, Howler had little to live for. Unable to deal with the stress, she turned towards alcohol. The landlord of her boarding house had zero tolerance for substance abuse and kicked her out. She sat alone in the dark, praying that she would die. But it was not death that came for her. Instead, she encountered a mysterious individual named David who turned her into a vampire. Howler served as part of David's flock along with four other vivacious, female vampires. They were forced to bring their master fresh victims, never allowed to drink until after he had sated his own thirst first. Before long however, the vamps tired of this lifestyle and decided to take Dave out of the picture. They ambushed him one evening after he had fed and tore him to pieces. Howler plunged a stake into his heart and buried the remains in five separate graves. She claimed his leather jacket as her own, in essence, becoming the group's new leader.
The group then used the discarded motorcycles of their human victims and began traveling west. They hitched a ride with a truck driver hauling meat and slept the daylight hours inside of the frozen beef carcasses he kept in the back of his truck. The following morning, the thirst overtook her and the other vamps and she fed off the truck driver, murdering him.
They continued traveling west towards Texas where they adopted new identities. They visited a biker bar and began scoping out new prey. Before they could do anything, several county sheriffs entered the establishment inquiring about murders that took place in North Carolina. Making little headway, they left the establishment and no one suspected Howler of any wrongdoing. One of the bikers, feeling a need to "protect his own", handed Howler a well-read text titled "How to Disappear: A Manual for Going Underground". Because of this, Howler recognized the value of having friends in the biker community and warned the others against feeding off of them.
That evening, the vamps fed from a Native American man in the middle of the desert and left him for dead.
Following that, she rode with the Vamps to Las Vegas, Nevada. She didn't join her friends at the various casino tables, as she had begun experiencing traumatic visions involving her sister Jennifer as well as images of her own pending death. After the other vamps enjoyed themselves at the tables, Howler attended them on an airplane flight to New York.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Powers[edit | edit source]
- Vampirism: In addition to the various mental and physical benefits that vampires are heir to, they also possess the ability to turn others into vampires as well. Each new vampire is traditionally subservient to the one who "turned" them, but some strong-willed vampires have been known to rebel against their masters.
- Enhanced senses: Vampires have improved several times higher than those of any human being of course these skills can vary depending on each person they will have some other stronger senses of his companions always given the dedication and training that each set to improve ways. Among the main ways that vampires have improved we find the following:
- Immortality: So long as vampires continue to consume blood, they will not age beyond the physical state they were in when they first became a vampire.
- Invulnerability: Vampires are invulnerable to most forms of injury (certain exceptions apply). Bullets, blades and blunt objects do little to no damage to a vampire's body.
- Regeneration: In addition to being virtually indestructible, whatever damage a vampire does in fact suffer can be healed through the consumption of human blood.
- Superhuman strength: A vampire's strength level is several times that of a normal human being and they are considered superhuman.
- Superhuman stamina: So long as they continue to consume human blood, a vampire can function tirelessly without rest or relaxation. However, a vampire's stamina wanes the closer it is to sunrise.
- Psychokinesis: Most vampires possess some form of psychokinesis. Some are clairvoyant, others can communicate telepathically, some possess mind control. Particularly powerful vampires can control the minds of several people at once.
- Hypnosis: Vampires possess the ability to hypnotize or mesmerize human targets. This may become difficult against opponents with an extremely high will power. It often doesn't work against other supernatural creatures. In some cases, vampire mesmerism may be referred to as "glamouring".
- Transformation: Vampires often possess the ability to transform into a variety of creatures or effects such as bats, wolves, rats or even mist. While their physical attributes may fluctuate during such states, a vampire's mental acuity is the same as that when they are in their human shape. A vampire who transforms into an animal may also benefit from that particular animal's attributes including razor-sharp claws, fangs or the ability to fly.
- Metamorphosis: Only vampires with a more advanced powers Control demonstrate the ability of altering either its appearance to imitate other people or in such cases selective transformation for creating claws to increase the lethal capability of its attacks in extreme cases and only vampires with a capacity of very advanced monitoring capabilities such change would show how elements, elasticity and other capabilities which vary depending on their ability, imagination and control, because as you know some vampires are stronger than others.
- Claws: Vampires can often turn their fingernails into sharpened claws, which are extremely durable and sharp. They are ideal for rending and tearing through flesh, though they are not as effective as the claws possessed by a werewolf.
- Fangs: A vampire's most often-used weapon are her fangs. They are enlarged sharpened canine teeth, which are often retractable so as to allow a vampire the ability to pose as a normal human. The primary purpose of fangs is for feeding, which they use to puncture the jugular vein of a victim in order to get to their blood.
- Precognition: Before becoming a vampire, Jezz Davison possessed the ability to perceive images of the future. This power was shared with her twin sister, Jennifer.
Skills[edit | edit source]
- Dancing: Howler made a living as an exotic dancer in the years before she became a vampire.
- Driving: Howler possessed proficient driving skills, in particular, Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
- Seduction: This was an ability developed during her years as an exotic dancer, and enhanced by the dominating characteristics of life as a vampire.
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- Howler suffers from all of the same vulnerabilities common to most vampires. She requires the consumption of human blood to survive. Without it, her body cannot function and will quickly deteriorate. On the converse, a surplus of blood will also cause an averse reaction. Commonly referred to as being "blood drunk", a vampire who feeds on too much blood will will descend into a state of vampiric frenzy, causing them to lash out, acting on nothing but pure, primal instinct.
- Howler cannot survive in direct sunlight, and prolonged exposure to sunlight will cause her physical body to quickly disintegrate.
- Articles of faith, and those who with strong belief in their faith can repel a vampire. Vampires cannot cross holy ground, or make physical contact with religious artifacts (again, the severity of this caveat is dependent upon the strength of faith of those who wield such items). A vampire's vulnerability against spiritual symbols encompasses all faiths, including those of various cultures such as Native American tribal lore.
- Howler's corporeal form no longer casts a reflection. The only time she can see her reflection is when she stares into the eyes of a potential victim right before feeding.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Motorcycle: Like all of the members of the Vamps, Howler rides a motorcycle.
Notes & Trivia[edit | edit source]
- "Howler (Jezz Davison)" redirects to this page.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Vamps: Hollywood & Vein #1
- Vamps: Hollywood & Vein #2
- Vamps: Hollywood & Vein #3
- Vamps: Hollywood & Vein #4
- Vamps: Hollywood & Vein #5
- Vamps: Hollywood & Vein #6
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Twin sister, alive.