- "Night has settled over Collinwood, and even the harsh shriek of the gulls beyond the cliffs is silenced over the darkening sea. But the seeming serenity of the night is almost a mockery to those who are trapped in an unrelenting curse that respects neither day nor night, and each attempt to escape that curse seens to lead deeper and deeper into the tightening web. Here, just as evil begets evil, what is monstrous among men, begets something even more monstrous still."
- ―Mrs. Johnson
|Air date||May 15th, 1968|
|Starring||Jonathan Frid; Grayson Hall; John Karlen; Clarice Blackburn; Robert Rodan|
"Episode 493" was directed by John Sedwick and written by Ron Sproat. It first aired on ABC on May 15th, 1968. In this episode, Barnabas and Julia bring Willie to meet Adam for the first time. They leave him to take care of Adam, but as per usual, Willie screws it up and Adam escapes. At Collinwood, Mrs. Johnson is in a fit of hysteria over the dream she had and fears that she might be compelled to tell it to David should she come upon him in the near future. But it's not David that Mrs. Johnson has a harrowing encounter with, but rather, Adam.
Cast[edit | edit source]
|Jonathan Frid||Barnabas Collins|
|Grayson Hall||Julia Hoffman|
|John Karlen||Willie Loomis|
|Clarice Blackburn||Mrs. Johnson|
Notes & Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Opening narration: Clarice Blackburn
- Closing still: Collinwood terrace
- Numerous references are made to David Collins throughout this episode, but he does not make an actual appearance.
- This episode has a rare scene with Willie Loomis smoking. Invariably, smoking always seems to cause Willie problems, such as the time when Jason McGuire found his cigarette butts outside the Collins family mausoleum on the night that he first unearthed Barnabas Collins (Dark Shadows: 210; Dark Shadows: 211)
Bloopers[edit | edit source]
- There is a slight lighting glare from the bottom left of the screen during the scene where Mrs. Johnson is speaking with Julia Hoffman in the Collinwood drawing room.
- Jonathan Frid slightly stammers his lines when instructing Willie Loomis on the proper precautions for dealing with Adam.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Barnabas Collins: If I did not know what horrors we commit, even in our dreams, I'd say all malice and evil leave us when we sleep. How gentle he looks at times like this.
- Barnabas Collins: Brute force incarnate; disguised now as one of Earth's most gentle creatures.
See also[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
Production crew[edit | edit source]