- "My name is Victoria Winters. These are uneasy days at Collinwood; for two mysterious strangers have invaded the privacy of the great house, creating doubts and fears in the minds of every member of the Collins family. One of them has disappeared and that in itself has created an even greater mystery."
- ―Victoria Winters
|Air date||April 20th, 1967|
|Starring||Joan Bennett; Mitchell Ryan; Nancy Barrett; Dennis Patrick; Joel Crothers|
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Jason McGuire and Elizabeth Collins Stoddard engage upon another of their classic arguments. Jason is convinced that someone has broken into Collinwood in the middle of the night and stolen all of Willie Loomis' personal belongings. Liz is unconvinced that Willie is really gone and demands that Jason reimburse her the $500 she gave him to get rid of Willie. Jason deftly evades the issue and in the heat of the argument, Jason pressures Liz into giving him more money. If she resists, he will be inclined to expose the dark secret she has kept hidden from her family for the past eighteen years.
Carolyn walks in at that moment and partially overhears their conversation. She suspects that Jason may have some sort of hold over her mother, but she is not sure what that hold may be. Liz, protective of her secret, dismisses Carolyn. Carolyn grows frustrated and leaves to go and drown her sorrows at the Blue Whale.
At the Blue Whale, Burke Devlin is standing near the jukebox with Joe Haskell. They are discussing recent issues concerning the Maggie Evans, when Carolyn walks in. Burke tries to talk to her, but Carolyn brushes him off. Joe convinces Carolyn to let Burke say his piece. Burke apologizes for leading Carolyn on and manipulating her so that he could get revenge against the Collins family. Carolyn forgives him, but her mind is preoccupied with thoughts of her mother.
She returns to Collinwood and overhears Liz and Jason arguing again. She confronts her mother about it, but Liz lies and says that they were actually arguing about her. Carolyn doesn't believe her. Liz excuses herself and goes upstairs. Jason takes Carolyn aside and warns her about asking too many questions in regards to he and Elizabeth's relationship.
Cast[edit | edit source]
|Joan Bennett||Elizabeth Collins Stoddard|
|Mitchell Ryan||Burke Devlin|
|Nancy Barrett||Carolyn Stoddard|
|Dennis Patrick||Jason McGuire|
|Joel Crothers||Joe Haskell|
|Bob O'Connell||Bob Rooney|
Notes & Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This episode is included on volume 42 of the VHS Dark Shadows Collector's Series and disk 1 of volume 1 of the Dark Shadows DVD series collection.
- Bob O'Connell is uncredited in this episode.
- A shadow from the camera crew falls upon Carolyn’s back in the drawing room at Collinwood.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Willie has a way of getting past locks."
- ―Jason McGuire
- "Carolyn, you knew I was out to hurt your family. You knew that."
- ―Burke Devlin