|1st appearance:||Hack/Slash: Euthanized #1|
Bobby Brunswick is a fictional undead monster an an antagonist featured in the Hack/Slash comic book franchise published by Devil's Due Publishing and later by Image Comics. He appeared in the Hack/Slash: Euthanized one-shot special in April, 2004.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Bobby Brunswick was a simple-minded fellow from the town of Eminence, Indiana. He found work as an assistant to Doctor Usa Elsten at the Elsten Animal Shelter. One of his functions was to bury the dead animals that Usa was forced to euthanize. Usa developed a deep rapport with Bobby, which angered her nurse husband, Kyle. Kyle was frustrated that Bobby was able to offer her something that he could not. Kyle and another nurse named Todd used to make fun of Bobby, calling him a "retard". One day, as part of a joke, they locked Bobby inside the Euthanasia room and pretended as if they were going to turn on the gas. Unfortunately, the gas actually did come on, and Bobby died. Frantically, Kyle and the town sheriff, Donovan, buried Bobby outside in the same patch of ground where Bobby would bury the dead animals.
Bobby rose from the earth as a Slasher, as did all of the animals that he had buried. Armed with a shovel, he led the undead animals in a Pied Piper-esque quest to destroy those responsible for his death. The animals began attacking various people, including Todd, a sheriff's deputy and a woman named Dana. Bobby entered the Eminence Sheriff's Station, which was in shambles due to the animal attack. Raising his shovel, he killed Sheriff Donovan.
Bobby and an undead dog then made their way to the Elsten Animal Shelter. He barged in on Usa as she was taking a bath, but he had no intention of causing her harm. Usa was terrified by Bobby's undead appearance and screamed. At that moment, monster hunter Cassie Hack and her partner Vlad arrived. Vlad fought with Bobby, believing that he intended to kill Usa. Bobby struck Vlad several times with his shovel, then stepped onto his head until he was unconscious. Cassie rushed into the room, but Bobby knocked her out with a single blow. He then dragged Cassie and Vlad out into the rain. As they awakened, Bobby threatened to cut off their heads. Usa emerged from the front door of the shelter with a gun and shot Bobby through the chest, putting him down for good. When Bobby "died", all of the undead animals under his command collapsed as well. 
Powers[edit | edit source]
- Animal control: As a Slasher, Bobby Brunswick possessed the ability to command undead animals. He sent them to attack and kill those he deemed responsible for his death and burial.
- Resurrection: A passive ability, this represents the unexplained circumstances that led to Bobby rising from the grave.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Shovel: As a Slasher, Bobby Brunswick brandished a shovel as a weapon. It is the same shovel he used to bury dead animals when he was alive.
Notes & Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The means by which Bobby Brunswick and the other animals from the clinic rose from the dead is never made clear.
- Other antagonists to appear in the same book that Bobby appeared in is Mrs. Hack, aka the Lunch Lady, who appears in flashback, and Dan, who is a human serial killer stalking the Camp Baker campground in Springfield, Illinois.
See also[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- This is the year that he first appeared. It is considered a non-canon date as the mechanics governing the passage of time are different in comic books than they are in the real world.
- Hack/Slash: Euthanized 1